I am currently enduring torrential rain in the West of Cornwall. The tent is soaking but thankfully has only developed minor leaks. This sort of damp weather changes what you want to eat. Today was supposed to start with a healthy bowl of low fat yogurt and fruit but we soon swapped that for a bacon butty.
For lunch we also wanted something hot but did not want to have to drive through the rain to overcrowded supermarkets. There were two smoked mackerels in the fridge so I thought they could be tarted up a bit as a hot bap filling. This is what we did.
2 smoked mackerel filets
4 wholemeal baps
1 tsp vegetable oil
half a medium onion
2 tsp whole grained mustard
two small dollups tomato ketchup
1. Finely chop the half onion
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan on the camping stove with a medium heat and add the onion
3. Meanwhile finely chop the mackerel and add to the frying pan
4. Toast the baps and apply the margarine or butter
5. Add the wholegrain mustard and ketchup to the mackerel and onion mix
6. Ensure the ingredients are well mixed and heated then serve into the baps